The Cumberland County Schools central offices will be relocating temporarily after a small aquarium fire caused some damage Sunday afternoon.
According to a release from Cumberland County Schools, the Central Services building at 2645 Gillespie Street in Fayetteville had minor smoke damage after a small aquarium overheated. Because of the cleanup associated with the fire, some of the offices will be relocated to other buildings around the district.
The scheduled Cumberland County Board of Education meeting for 6 p.m. on December 14 has been moved to the Education Resource Center at 396 Elementary Drive in Fayetteville.
Cumberland County Schools officials said nobody was harmed in the fire, and that human resources and finance offices were not impacted by the fire.
Full release from Cumberland County Schools about the fire:
On Sunday, December 12, shortly before 5 p.m., a small aquarium overheated, causing a small fire and minor smoke damage at the main Central Services building, located at 2465 Gillespie Street, Fayetteville, NC 28306. We are grateful to the first responders for their quick response time. CCS’ Human Resources and Finance buildings, which are in the vicinity, were not impacted by this incident.
District staff, in collaboration with external fire and smoke restoration personnel, have begun the clean-up process and are working to assess all areas impacted by this situation.
Central Services staff will temporarily telework or relocate to other office buildings in the district while repairs are completed. Members of the public may continue to call the main switchboard at 910-678-2300 for assistance with district inquiries. Individuals who need to drop off paperwork to Central Services can do so in the Human Resources building located at 2465 Gillespie Street (at the rear of the property).
In light of this situation, the Cumberland County Board of Education will hold its regularly scheduled December 14, 2021, monthly meeting at the Education Resource Center (ERC), located at 396 Elementary Drive, Fayetteville, NC 28301, beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 14, 2021.
Despite the need to temporarily relocate staff, we are grateful that no one was harmed. We remain #CumberlandStrong!